american furniture ware house
American Furniture Ware House – Friends Gather At The Lake – Gillett-Tyler House
American Furniture Ware House
- furnishings that make a room or other area ready for occupancy; "they had too much furniture for the small apartment"; "there was only one piece of furniture in the room"
- Furniture (probably from the French 'fournir' — to provide) is the mass noun for the movable objects ('mobile' in Latin languages) intended to support various human activities such as seating and sleeping in beds, to hold objects at a convenient height for work using horizontal surfaces above
- Furniture was a British pop band, active from 1979 to 1991 and best known for their 1986 Top 30 hit "Brilliant Mind".
- In typesetting, furniture is a term for pieces of wood that are shorter than the height of the type. These pieces are used to layout type by blocking out empty spaces (white space) in a layout set in a chase.
- of or relating to or characteristic of the continents and islands of the Americas; "the American hemisphere"; "American flora and fauna"
- The meaning of the word American in the English language varies, according to the historical, geographical, and political context in which it is used. It is derived from America, a term originally denoting all of the New World (also called "the Americas").
- a native or inhabitant of the United States
- a native or inhabitant of a North American or Central American or South American country
- firm: the members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments; "he worked for a brokerage house"
- the members of a religious community living together
- a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families; "he has a house on Cape Cod"; "she felt she had to get out of the house" wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
- the audience gathered together in a theatre or cinema; "the house applauded"; "he counted the house"
- merchandise: commodities offered for sale; "good business depends on having good merchandise"; "that store offers a variety of products"wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
- consume: spend extravagantly; "waste not, want not"
- Ware is a town of around 18,000 people in Hertfordshire, England close to the county town of Hertford. The Prime Meridian passes to the east of Ware.
- articles of the same kind or material; usually used in combination: `silverware', `software'
The Gillett-Tyler house is significant for its architectural design, for its association with an important period of American history, and for its association with three significant persons. Picturesquely sited on Todt Hill, this impressive Greek-Revival-style mansion is a fine example of the early-nineteenth-century frame buildings that were constructed in New York, New England and throughout the country. Originally built in Enfield, Massachusetts around 1846 for Daniel B. Gillett, this two-story house was reconstructed in Staten Island in 1931, when the buildings in the Swift River Valley were moved or razed to allow for the creation of the Quabbin Reservoir in western Massachusetts.
Charles A. Wade, a builder from Dorset, Vermont, took advantage of the interest in colonial and early-nineteenth-century American history that flourished in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries as well as the inexpensive building supply of the Swift River Valley, and offered to find authentic New England houses and move them to the locations of the buyers’ choice. Wade was commissioned to relocate this building to Todt Hill on Staten Island, situated among large, newly constructed homes and nineteenth-century country estates, to serve as the home of Walter A. Tyler, an executive of the L.A. Dreyfus chewing-gum-base manufacturer. The over-200-mile move is testament to the deep interest in colonial and early American history at the time, and the perceived value of its architecture.
The two-story, simple box-form house has a slate-shingled, low-pitched, hipped roof, a subordinate, one-and- a-half story wing, and historic six-over-six, double-hung windows. Bold, Greek- Revival-style, classically-inspired decorative details include its emphasized cornice line with wide divided bands of trim, two-story, vernacular Doric pilasters, and the fluted Ionic columns and sidelights flanking the door at the recessed entry porch. In the 1950s, the house and property were sold to Horace P. Moulton, vice president and general counsel of AT&T and his wife Gretta, a champion of Staten Island’s Greenbelt parkland. The building remains in use as a private residence.
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
The Gillett-Tyler House is located at 103 Circle Road on Todt Hill, historically known as "Yserberg" or "Iron Hill," the highest of the chain of serpentine hills that extends through the center of the island from Upper New York Bay. Mainly located in the neighborhood of Dongan Hills, the summit of the hill at 409.8 feet is said to be the highest natural point on the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida. The hill is roughly bounded by the Staten Island Expressway to the north, Richmond Road (one of the earliest roads on the island) to the east, Moravian Cemetery to the south, and the Staten Island Greenbelt to the west. Geographically, Todt Hill was formed by the "terminal moraine," or maximum advance point of a 17,000 year-old glacier. The high points of Brooklyn, Queens and some parts of New Jersey were formed by the same moraine. Todt Hill Road provides the main access to the hill, running from Richmond Road (south) to Victory Boulevard (north), and, besides other smaller streets, is intersected by Four Corners Road, which runs east to Richmond Road.
The Dutch name "Yserberg" or "Iron Hill" was used by the early settlers due to the rich resources of Limonite iron ore, found in the serpentine rock that was mined on the southern end of the hill as early as 1644. Although officially called "Todt" Hill today, the origin of the name, said to be from later than the Revolution, is disputed. "One view derives the name from a [deadly] encounter there between the Dutch and the Indians, making it equivalent to Death Hill; another, published in 1856, derives the name ‘Toad,’ [rather than ‘Todt’] from a trivial social incident [involving an amphibian]; while a third, which seems the most probable, relates the name Todt or dead to an early use of the hill as a burying place," the seventeenth-century Dutch Moravian Cemetery.
The existence of Prehistoric Native American sites on Todt Hill is indicated by several chert (stone) artifacts in the collections of the Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. The first theory on the derivation of the name "Todt" also alludes to the presence of Native Americans in the area, although it is unclear if an actual campsite existed there. In the 1687, Governor Dongan granted 5,100 acres of land, including most of the land on the hill, to John Palmer as part of the extensive Iron Hill patent, and, as the name suggests, iron ore was mined there by early settlers. In the mid-nineteenth-century, Todt Hill, like other picturesque settings on Staten Island, became the location of country homes on large estates, owned by wealthy businessmen and professionals who wished "to enjoy the scenery of the
Built in 1896-97 to the French Renaissance Revival style design of architect Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz, the Society House of the American Society of Civil Engineers was the headquarters of the organization founded in 1852. As the engineering profession grew rapidly in the 19th century and its membership increased, ASCE needed a new building, said to be the first such project for a professional American engineering society. After a site was selected on West 57th Street, the wide cross-town thoroughfare with a distinguished history associated with the arts and various organizations for over a century, a limited design competition was held in 1896 and Eidlitz was selected. The Society House is clad in white glazed brick, with intricately-carved Indiana limestone ornament.
The facade, dominated by an enframed elliptical ogee arch on the second story that is surmounted by a tripartite window group, is further embellished by smaller second-story ogee-arched lintels, quoins, and a modillioned cornice topped by a parapet. As its attendance increased, ASCE found it necessary to construct an annex in 1905-06; the design by Eidlitz & [Andrew C.] McKenzie continued that of the original portion. Eidlitz, often linked with commissions from the telephone industry, also produced a wide and distinguished variety of designs for public, institutional, and commercial structures. After ASCE moved in 1917 to new quarters, it retained ownership of its former Society House until 1966.
Due to its close proximity to the “Automobile Row” section of Broadway, the building was leased in 1918-27 as offices and showrooms of the Ajax Rubber Co., one of the nation’s leading manufacturers of pneumatic tires, and in 1927-28 as a showroom for luxury Stearns-Knight automobiles. The 1918 ground-story alteration, by architect Arnold W. Brunner, included re-cladding and creation of wide storefront bays. From 1928 to 1973, this was the location of one of the Schrafft’s chain of restaurants, especially popular in its earlier years as a center for women’s dinners and functions. In 1975, the ground story was leased by Lee’s Art Shop, known for its traditional art supplies and operated by Gilbert and Ruth Steinberg, who purchased the building in 1994.
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
West 57th Street: a Cultural Center of New York
West 57th Street, particularly the blocks between Sixth Avenue and Broadway, is part of the wide cross-town thoroughfare that has sometimes evoked comparison to the elegant Rue de la Paix in Paris, and has been associated with the arts for over a century. In the early 1870s, town houses and mansions for New York’s elite began to be constructed along Fifth Avenue and the adjacent blocks on West 57th Street. Other structures began to pave the way for the neighborhood’s reputation as an artistic center. The Sherwood Studios (1880, attributed to John
H. Sherwood; demolished), 58 West 57th Street, built by financier-art collector Sherwood; and the Rembrandt (1881, Hubert & Pirsson; demolished), 152 West 57th Street, organized by painter/minister Jared Flagg, were early apartment houses that provided large studio space for artists. The Osborne Apartments (1883-85, James E. Ware; 1889; 1906), 205 West 57th Street, was one of the largest and grandest apartment houses of its era and attracted numerous musicians over the years. Carnegie Hall (1889-95, William B. Tuthill), at the southeast corner of Seventh Avenue, became one of the nation’s most legendary concert halls; residential studios were added to the building in 1896-97 (Henry J. Hardenbergh).
The American Fine Arts Society Building (1891-92, Hardenbergh), 215 West 57th Street, has been home to the Architectural League, Art Students League, and Society of American Artists, providing exhibition, classroom, and studio facilities; it was the site of “virtually every important exhibition of art and architecture held in the city” for many years. Later buildings that provided residential and working space for artists include the 130 and 140 West 57th Street Studio Buildings (1907-08, Pollard & Steinam) and the Rodin Studios (1916-17, Cass Gilbert), 200 West 57th Street. Additionally, there were the Society House of the American Society of Civil Engineers (1896-97, Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz), 220 West 57th Street; Lotos Club (1907, Donn Barber), 110 West 57th Street, a literary club founded in 1870; and the Louis H. Chalif Normal School of Dancing (1916, G.A. & H. Boehm), 163-165 West 57th Street, one of the earliest American schools to instruct teachers in dance. The Real Estate Record & Builders Guide commented in 1916 that the neighborhood “abounds in structures devoted to the cultivation of the arts.”
As indicated in the Federal Writers’ Project’s New York City Guide in 1939, “the completion of Carnegie Hall in 1891 established the district as the foremost musical center of the country. M